How to Make an Appointment
You can make an appointment with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) one of two ways; stop by the CAPS office during business hours or call the office at (209)228-4266. Counseling and Psychological Services is open from 8:00AM to 4:30PM, Monday through Friday, excluding weekends and University determined holidays.
What to Expect
Here is a general idea of what to expect at your first visit to CAPS:
• To be approximately 30 minutes early
• To be greeted by one of our administrative staff
• To be provided a Client Information Form to complete
• To be given Informed Consent as well as a Notice of Privacy Practices
• To be seen for a 30 minute consultation by one of the CAPS clinicians
• To provide information about your current issues and a brief history
• To be provided recommendations for services by the CAPS clinician
Do Not Expect…
• To lie on a couch
• That the first session is typical of therapy. It is meant to collect information in order to refer you to the appropriate treatment modality.
• To feel better immediately. You are coming in for a reason and like any health issue it takes time for treatment to work.
• To just sit there. Mental health treatment is a collaborative process built on your identified goals.