How to Make an Appointment
You can make an appointment with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) by calling the office at (209)228-4266. Counseling and Psychological Services is only virtually open from 8:00AM to 4:30PM, Monday through Friday, excluding weekends and University determined holidays.
What to Expect
Here is a general idea of what to expect at your first call into CAPS:
• To be given Informed Consent as well as a Notice of Privacy Practices
• To provide information about your current issues and a brief history
• To be provided recommendations for services by the CAPS clinician
Do Not Expect…
• To lie on a couch
• That the first session is typical of therapy. It is meant to collect information in order to refer you to the appropriate treatment modality.
• To feel better immediately. You are coming in for a reason and like any health issue, it takes time for treatment to work.
• To just sit quietly. Mental health treatment is a collaborative process built on your identified goals.